Through the power of relativity, a million-year picnic may pass in an hour.

Monday, March 3, 2008

V?

As this was my first foray into the previously unknown realm where the graphic novel dwells, I came out with some strong impressions. Laced with shadows. And lots of little straight lines to make those shadows. It wasn't my favourite format for enjoying a novel, but it was interesting. I would like to just mention that while I was trying to find it at Barnes and Noble in the Graphic Novel/Manga/Comic Book section, I received the most "interesting" stares. People's perceptions of graphic novels and those who read them are grossly exaggerated.
I do feel like I missed a lot in this first reading as I had a hard time following separate charactres and story lines, all the while trying to pick up on V's quoted speeches and graffiti in the background and other subtle little clues that may have helped my understanding had I picked up on more of them. I did love the visual creation of the "body" of the state alluded to by the titles of the different sections: The Eye, The Finger, and my favourite- The Nose. Who would want to smell British society?
Honestly though, I was left wondering if British society would be able to pull themselves together or not after V died, or successfully implement V's beloved theory of anarchy. As Finch points out, V should have been able to prevent Finch from shooting him, so why didn't he? Would it ever be possible to right the chaos that V jump-started? Why were so many upper-level party members involved in this human testing program anyway?
I need to read this again, but this time let myself be more distracted by the pictures. In the meantime, I hope things become more clear and that our discussion helps me see deeper than a basic run through of one man's goal for society.

2 comments:

Zakahi said...

You think you got funny stares; I walked into borders downtown Friday night to pick the book up after a diner/reception thing wearing a suit, and joined by two men from the reception (one wearing a navel uniform) I was going to split a cab fare with--stupid track work. When I asked about where to find it the person behind the counter asked if the government had "decided to censor comics."

Kaitlin said...

Ha, good to know someone shared this sort of experience, though yours sounds much more amusing than mine.